Re: Allergic to Clay?

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 16:43:57 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Caryl Dahn" <cdahn@lake-mills.k12.ia.us>
To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 4:33 PM
Subject: Allergic to Clay?

> Has anyone had experience with a student that when working on the
> wheel throwing pottery has his hands become extremely wrinkled. Much
> more then the usual. Have you heard of someone having an allergic
> reaction to clay?
> --
> Caryl Dahn
> 7-12th Visual Arts Instructor
> Lake Mills Community Schools
> 102 South 4th Ave. East
> Lake Mills, IA 50450
> 641-592-0893 ex. 2040

That's odd. . . I haven't had that experience with students and clay, but I
have had students with excessively wrinkled fingers after using papier
mache. We were using Ross Art Paste. The ends of his fingers actually
peeled! Hmmm. As far as clay reactions, my knuckles get dry and crack
after using clay, just having it on my hands for 10 min. I'm glad I don't
teach ceramics anymore!

Leah

---