Re: Art Shows

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 16:34:57 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aust ArtClasses" <austart@bryanisd.org>
To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 3:07 PM
Subject: Art Shows

> My district is all up in arms on how to handle displaying students work.
>
> Art teachers only want an Art Show, no ribbon, trophies, or money awarded.

In my opinion (and I do have an annual art show), k-5, or "elementary"
should just be a show. Although creative thinking is a factor in many
lessons, we focus on learning skills and appreciating the arts, and the
students are often directed through the processes. If we give awards to
students at that age, it seems to me that we are rewarding them for
developing faster than the others. Sure, there are students who shine, work
harder than the rest, and you know they will only get better, but I don't
think it's necessary to create a competitive atmosphere. I think it would
be detrimental to our budding artists. In the high school, however, their
basic skills are in place, they are developed, and much of a student's
success has to do with personal effort. I don't see as much of a problem
giving awards in high school. Once again, just my humble opinion, no
research, just experience.

Leah

---