Re: scholastic and copies, consequences...

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 15:21:53 PDT

Re: scholastic and copies, consequences...Patty, I believe that I am teaching consumers of art. I HOPE I am teaching an appreciation of art, and the enjoyment that can be derived from the process of creating. VERY few of my students go on to art careers. I enter two contests yearly - one is our local museum that holds a county wide exhibit, and the other is a league competition. Both are required for Art 3 & 4, and optional for Art 1 & 2. I am very straightforward in letting the kids know that art is very subjective, and they may not win. Last year, I had two paintings I thought were wonderful do lousy at one place and both medaled in the other. We have our own Fine Arts Night where the kids can show off their stuff without the competition hanging over their heads. Hopefully this is a balance between the real world and my own idolized version! :-)
  ~Michal

  I have the same problem with my own art show. I have always had "outsiders" judge my high school show. And I have always been disappointed in the choices. I see the disappointment with the kids that worked very hard on original ideas that were overlooked in favor of "slick " results . I am reconsidering very seriously this year if there will be any judging at all. I know the kids want the reward of being singled out, but the pain I see from the kids that get nothing is hard to bear. And usually it is the kids that have tried to work out some kind of content without the slick technique that get ignored.

  Am I delaying a necessary process if I forgo awards?
  I ask this question seriously

  Patty

---