Re: scholastic and copies, consequences...

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 15:05:15 PDT

Deb Mortl wrote
> So, why have the rules if there is no enforceable
> consequence??

Isn't this the problem with everything today???? Certainly is within my own
building when kids recognize that the student handbook of rules is often
overlooked because of administrative inequities.

I have limited very much my students participation in competitions, mostly
because of the kinds of fallacies being described.
I am trying desperately to teach my students about copying and "lifting"
images. They certainly don't have a good knowledge base as to what they can
or can not do with found images. In our current world, I am having a hard
time keeping up.

I make all and any competitions and contests optional to my students. It is
not in my curriculum to teach to contests. It is in my curriculum to teach
to the pitfalls of any kind of juried exhibitions an artists may face.

Art is and has always been "judged." The evaluation depends on the judges
tastes and background and education.
And no
there seems to be no consequence when judges fail to have an adequate
knowledge base for what they are judging.

I wish it was as easy as who got over the finish line first, who who hit the
most home runs. But that's just not how art is.

I try, I try to prepare my students for the disappointments that they will
inevidentably face as artists. I can tell them there will be another "race
' but I don't know how to tell them that how they are judged is so
subjective..... or stupid sometimes.

I have the same problem with my own art show. I have always had "outsiders"
judge my high school show. And I have always been disappointed in the
choices. I see the disappointment with the kids that worked very hard on
original ideas that were overlooked in favor of "slick " results . I am
reconsidering very seriously this year if there will be any judging at all.
I know the kids want the reward of being singled out, but the pain I see
from the kids that get nothing is hard to bear. And usually it is the kids
that have tried to work out some kind of content without the slick technique
that get ignored.

Am I delaying a necessary process if I forgo awards?
I ask this question seriously

Patty

---