Re: scholastic and copies, consequences....

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 14:50:16 PDT

This is EXACTLY why I refuse to submit artwork to Scholastic. They don't
follow their own posted rules. How do you explain to a students why the
rules weren't followed, and were in fact rewarded? Several years ago (9
years I believe) there was a well-known magazine add of a little boy. The
grand prize winner of the show had taken this little boys face, blown it up
really large and painted flies on it. There was absolutely no mistaking the
original ad. So it's ok to copy, as long as you do it well? Is that really
the message we want to give our kids?
~Michal

> My students always enter the Junior Federal Duck stamp contest, and the
> rules are STRICTLY that a student can use photos for reference (since they
> require accurate representation of the species) but cannot copy any
> published photo. Well, I was showing a group of students the brochure
last
> year (of the winners from each state,) and one of the first place winners
> copied a very well-published duckling photo (Sierra Club uses it in
> everything)TO A T! Every feather and blade of grass was an exact match to
> the photo. So, the class was feeling a little "put out" so we contacted
the
> person in charge of the contest and they said there was nothing they could
> do about it. So, why have the rules if there is no enforceable
> consequence??
>
> Deb

---