Re: Art Shows

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 14:46:59 PDT

It was suggested that I have my K-6 art show judged. I told the offending
party absolutely not! My art show is for the students to show off what they
have accomplished. Each student submits 3 artworks, which I mat on colored
paper and hang. I have informational brochures with a listing of all student
artist's names. This show is meant to glorify all my students, not only
those who are "creative". It has always been very well received in my
community.
~Michal

> My district is all up in arms on how to handle displaying students work.
>
> Art teachers only want an Art Show, no ribbon, trophies, or money awarded.
> This is K-12, 30 teachers. The administrations feels that students
> should be awarded the above. Last year was our first district wide art
> show. All students were awarded a participation ribbon. Some elementary,
> not all, teachers feel that students that age should not be exposed to
> competiton, yet most of these students are in little league. Views and
> opinions wanted.

---