Re: scholastic and copies, consequences....

---------

From: Deb Mortl (dmortl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 13:25:23 PDT

My students always enter the Junior Federal Duck stamp contest, and the
rules are STRICTLY that a student can use photos for reference (since they
require accurate representation of the species) but cannot copy any
published photo. Well, I was showing a group of students the brochure last
year (of the winners from each state,) and one of the first place winners
copied a very well-published duckling photo (Sierra Club uses it in
everything)TO A T! Every feather and blade of grass was an exact match to
the photo. So, the class was feeling a little "put out" so we contacted the
person in charge of the contest and they said there was nothing they could
do about it. So, why have the rules if there is no enforceable
consequence??

Deb