scholastic and copies

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 11:02:13 PDT

say about copying from a
published photograph? There was a middle school student from this area that
won several years ago - and the painting was an enlargement of a published
photo (Nat's Geo I think)... I thought that was odd..."
        Ellen

I pulled the 2000 entry info. Here is what it says....
"All work must be executed by the student(s), except in photography, where
students are not required to develop, process, or enlarge their photos
themselves. By signing the entry form, both the student and teacher have
certified that the work is the student's own. Any work found to be
plagiarized will be disqualified and any awards granted will be withdrawn.
Plagiarism is an offense punishable by law."

Teachers and students are required to sign an entry form which says..
"I have read and fully understand and agree to all requirements for this
program, including the Authorship and Plagiarism, and Copyrights
sections..."

I understand Ellen's frustration because I, too, have seen similar things
shown. My kids really go off when they see it because they have already been
through the "ethics discussion" with me when they wanted to enter something
copied. I suppose a lot has to do with the quality and expertise of judges
chosen in each region. I have, however, heard of gold keys being rescinded
when a copied piece made it to national competition. Can you imagine the
embarrassment?

Hope this is helpful to you. Linda in NC

---