Re: Crayon Resist

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 07:03:43 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
>> Does anyone have experience with crayon resist? My 2nd graders did lovely
>> fall themed crayon pictures today and painted them with thinned black
>> tempera. The results were kind of yukky-looking. What did I do wrong? I
>> have 3 more days in the rotation to get this right!
>> Jill in Colorado
***************************

After coloring really hard with crayon, I set up a process line that the
kids go through. Everything is laid out onto two tables pushed together.
Each process can be used by two people (one on either side of the tables).
The first stop is wet and wrinkle, next stop is unwrinkle and lay on folded
newspaper, the next stop is brushing with slightly watered black tempera and
a brush, the next stop is dipping it into a tub of warm water, next stop is
fresh folded newspaper, last stop is lay it on the floor to dry. I can get
through all the 6th graders in the classroom in one day.

We get some good results this way (dipping it in plain water after the
tempera stage) but it still is not one of my favorite projects.
Toodles....Bunki

---