Re: Crayon Resist

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 07:00:12 PDT

In a message dated 10/09/2001 8:15:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Jillart1@aol.com writes:

> Does anyone have experience with crayon resist? My 2nd graders did lovely
> fall themed crayon pictures today and painted them with thinned black
> tempera. The results were kind of yukky-looking. What did I do wrong?

I do a crayon resist piece with my art 1 classes that involves stylization of
a subject and background and then painting black tempera over the crayon to
resist it and only go into the areas that don't have crayon. The secret for
me is to design a composition, then use a bold marker to make an outline.
Transfer the design onto drawing paper by tracing on both sides of the marker
line to create a space between the shapes of the design. Use crayon very
heavily with in those shapes and then with lightly watered down black tempera
paint between the lines to fill in the spaces and illuminate the crayon.

This year I am going to use stained glass window of the Gothic period and/or
Illuminations of letters as in the old texts of the gothic period.

Ken Schwab
San Jose Ca

---