Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Crayon Resist

Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 03:47:29 PDT

In a message dated 10/09/2001 11:15:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, writes:

> Does anyone have experience with crayon resist? My 2nd graders did lovely
> fall themed crayon pictures today and painted them with thinned black
> tempera. The results were kind of yukky-looking. What did I do wrong? I
> have 3 more days in the rotation to get this right!
> Jill in Colorado

Hi, Jill....May I suggest that they use oil pastels, if you have them, such
as Craypas instead of crayons? I think that the heavier wax resists better.
Also, perhaps paint over the drawings with beautiful colors, fall colors in
watercolor paint. I like using watercolors over the oil pastels instead of
watered down tepera, although I have used very watered down black tempera.
If you still use the black tempera, and depending on the results you want,
try crumbling up the wet paper then flattened it after you've applied the
very thinned tempera.
Hope this helps. Susan on Long Island