Re: visual puns

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 17:13:46 PDT

gregjuli@execpc.com wrote:

> HI Sharon and all
> We just did puns for a sketch assignment- lots of fun!
> gatorade- an alligator carrying a medical bag
> tow truck- a truck with a hood that looked like a toe
> pizza man- a slice of pizza with a suit and tie
> These are some of the ideas from the 8th graders.
> MaryB

These are so much fun, especially when working with ESL students. Here
are two similar lessons I've developed: (1) Check out the headers at the
top of each page of the Yellow Pages. Some are pretty funny and call to
mind some unusual images (Beauty-Blinds; Book-Boots; and my all-time
favorite: Fish-Flatware). Cut these out and have students design a
Yellow Page ad for a pair of headers as though it were a real product.
(2) Have students illustrate the literal meaning of a common idiom,
like "Stop bugging me." "Knee-high to a grasshopper." "The apple of my
eye." I got a handout at an NAEA presentation several years ago with
all sorts of idioms involving body parts. We've been using these to
create sculptures.

Your ESL students probably can come up with some good idioms in their
own languages. Spanish has some really good ones (though my mind is
blank at the moment).

Maggie

---