plaster hands.....

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 19:30:56 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: Sidnie Miller <sidmill@nsn.k12.nv.us>
>They did a plastercraft
> casting of their hand and then created a set, props, painting or whatever
> it took to make a visual pun. Handcuffs were a popular item with little
> links made of alum. foil, but some were wonderful--like handicapped
> parking where they made a little parking lot with a handicapped space and
> parked a hand with little wheels. It was really fun--a little bit
> difficult for my ESL students. Sid
***********************

We are not doing visual puns per se but it's weird that you bring up
plaster-gauze hands as we're doing these RIGHT NOW. WE stuffed them and made
a tagboard stand around the wrist so when that was covered also with the
gauze, they stand by themselves as a sculpture. They were then given the
assignment to use their hand in a unique way...adding things from home,
paint, items, etc. so the hand becomes an "entity with a theme". It's taking
some time but the kids are coming in first thing in the morning to bring in
new things from home and working during lunchtime.

I'm getting some good creations too. One is making a flag by putting a staff
into the hand sideways with a wooden base covered in fake grass. We have
some "bug" hands hidden in tall weeds on a base with flowers and diff. bugs.
One is done in camouflage colors hidden in weeds, with sand base and const.
paper binoculars. Another is hand flowers in a pot. Another hand is a
chessboard with game pieces. One is a bird's nest with bird made of const.
paper in 3D. Another is a graveyard complete with fence and tomestones. One
is a Christmas tree with presents and lights. Another a cactus in a desert.
They are supposed to be finished by this Thursday before our big move. I
can't wait to take pictures and get them up on the website so you can all
enjoy them as much as I am. Toodles....Bunki

---