Re: craft knife use

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 14:00:58 PDT

Last year, one of my 9th graders was pulling the knife straight for her
stomach. I guess I overreacted with concern. Another child called her an
idiot.
Somehow it got back to mom that I called her an idiot. I had to do the
explaining.

Guess I should have left her slit herself then I would have been the idiot
for not stopping her.

The other day a bus driver came to the principal with some woodcarving
knives that he found on the bus. I had to track down where they may have
come from. And then the principal's reaction was that I had to tell the
teacher to keep track of such things.

I watch the knives with such paranoia. I hate eliminating the tool. But I
also hate knowing if anything happens I am the responsible one. I'd also
hate to know that a knife from my room was used for some other intention.

I teach and teach about "slicing" but they continue to jab and jab.
They don't do so well with the paper cutter either.

Hope someone out there has a good solution to this.

Patty
P.S. I once let a kid take home some linoleum cutting tools to finish a
project. He ended up in the emergency room because he slipped and went
through his wrist. Never again

Keep in mind I teach high school --- with not good , usually trustworthy
kids----I hope for a little sense of responsibility.

---