RE: visual puns

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 05:00:00 PDT

I had to look this up - but in American Artist (1993) there was a great
article on visual puns by Scott Moore - I used to do a surrealism/collage
lesson with my middle schools based on this article -

One of the paintings is titled "Star Gazing" - he started with the word
star, wrote down related phrases (shooting star, starry eyed etc...) until
he thought of star gazing - changed it to star 'grazing' and the scene is a
herd of cows among a star cookie cutter, rolling pin and a sky with the
stars cut out like cookie dough - the cows are star grazing - several good
examples -

Roukes book - Humor in Art has wonderful examples - and an algorithm or
formula for designing puns -
Ellen

---