Re: visual puns

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 08:40:11 PDT

Hi Sharon - I have never had them create visual puns - per se. In the past I had them illustrate items such as "banana split" with magazine pictures. The best one was Princess Di and a toilet - you got it! "Royal Flush"! This was several years ago, and I don't know why I haven't done more with it. I'll bet the kids would love it!
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
  One created a drawing that's a visual pun, though neither she nor I realized it until after she'd completed it.

  She started with a picture (cut in half) of a dog, and the idea was to distort the other half in some weird way. As she worked on it, she kept saying that it was turning into a "ball" for some reason, and drew it that way.
  http://www.art-rageous.net/StudentDrawings01.html

  As I was mounting it, getting ready to display it for Parents Weekend, I started laughing, realizing that she'd inadvertently created a "bassetball"!

  Have any of you developed intentional (ha) lessons that challenge students to create humorous artwork that serve as visual puns?

---