Re: using photos in powerpoint

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 07:50:36 PDT

> Does this take a lot memory? Also if I shoot on a disc that is
> formated for my computer at home that is a pc, but want to
> put into an old imac at school... will it work? Susan In Ohio
- - - -
>>Woody suggested-
>>Save them as jpeg files.

If you have any photo enhancement programs, such as Adobe Photoshop, (which
has a version for both PC and Mac) you can change the file/resolution sizes
of the jpeg images. I don't recall the purpose you are using the
images...but if for computer only, you need only save them at 72dpi and no
more than 6" in height and about 8" in width. That will not take up too
much space at all on your system.

If you are using them to print out, I have found that nearly all the digital
images taken will benefit from adjusting levels. They need to brightened
up, contrast sharpened, color saturation increased, flesh tones warmed up,
etc; My experience is also to make the monitor appearance appear just a bit
lighter than you will want printed...because the inks when dry will be
slightly darker in value on paper than on the monitor.

You want at least 300 dpi for printing images, which again you can set.

Computers may assume you will reduce the digital resolution to 72dpi, and
when you first check "Image Size" it may default 72dpi. If you save it this
way, then later change it to 300 dpi, you will not get a very satisfying
image. Before saving the first time, check your "image size" and set the
dpi where you want. If for monitor only, 72dpi is fine; if for printing,
at least 300dpi.

One other solution I take advantage of is using a CD burner (which I have on
my PC system at home) but you could use if any CD burner might be in your
school. Yes, Susan, your images from you PC at home will work on your iMac.
A jpeg is a nonsys image, so the digital image will be accepted on either a
Mac, or a PC. It is only after you use the image in some program, such as
Power Point that you may find strange things happening. However, the iMac
will accept work done on a PC. For example...its possible a PC may not be
able to read a Power Point presentation prepared on an iMac, but the iMac
can read one done on the PC.

Now....if you get access to a CD burner...you can put an incredible number
of even large resolution (dpi) images onto the cd. Thereafter, you can use
images stored on the disc for whatever purposes you have.

I have found out though, that our tech administrator on staff goes around to
our iMacs, and calibrate how much meg memory each program will be allotted.
They will bring up folders in the harddrive (if you ask/insist) and assign
more memory to say, Power Point. Thus, I might have no problem whatsoever
on a Power Point program at home on my 256RAM PC putting large files of
images on a disc, then get to school and find my Power Point on the iMac
only allows about 40% of the images before a window comes up to tell me I'm
out of memory.

I found that by creating folders, (think of them as chapters in a book), and
assigning perhaps a dozen images per folder, that I skirt around this
problem. Again, it will depend upon how high of a resolution your images
are. Hope that explains some.....
-Larry

---