Re: Back to fundamentals- SKETCHING...and my sketching game

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 07:30:55 PDT

>This sounds like an interesting game. What level is doing this
> and if it is high school, what art level? I might try this next week.
> Thanks, Ken Schwab

Ken, I teach k-12....and begin teaching my methods of sketching- (based on
my observations of the maturity of the group), at about 6th grade. As a
game, I start that at the 8th grade level, and do it on up to 12th. I would
say it is the 8th and 9th graders that will ask if every so often we could
play the game again. They do have a great deal of fun with it. We are a
small school, and nearly 80% of the students in are involved in athletics at
some level. Thus, they carry a somewhat in-built competitiveness amongst
themselves.

As a side note for everyone...you can't be squimish about "wasting" paper.
Use a cheap copy paper, and they can use both sides. Don't think of
sketching either as an exercise or game, as being a "waste." In fact, make
up a set of rules for the game for any date you may have to have a
substitute, and the sub will love you for it. Their job is much easier when
the kids are having fun! Tell the students that writing on any objects you
point at is NOT to be included. Have fun.....
-Larry

---