more games

---------

From: Randy (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 04:41:08 PDT

I liked Larry's posting of the sketching game. Two weeks ago I had the
annual dilemma: a Friday before the annual pep rally. This Friday is at
the end of a week of students dressing up each day. (Yes I do teach High
school) Because of various interruptions I have not gotten my students
to do entry level still life observation drawing yet..

So, now that I have set the stage.... I placed 1 to three items on each
table cluster. We played a variation of musical chairs... only I didn't
take away chairs... I called it musical art. They had a piece of 12
"X18" white paper. They gridded the paper into 3x3 inch units. Then
they had until the music stopped at each still life. They could draw
part of it or small... or they could erase and re size to say a 6x6"
space... Then I put the music on. After the first still life ( all
drawing they had about 5 minutes each) they moved to other tables when
the music stopped and brought their paper with them..... I played a bit
of "Calvin and Hobb's rules... i.e. I did modify instructions as they
went along...For example the 1st drawing was line only... the second one
texture & line... the third one they had to see seek form & value...

With art ones I had 1/2 the tables equipped with different materials.
One table had only sharpie markers... one had only colored chalk... one
had charcoal...

the advanced classes had different media at each table... All the
classes worked cheerfully... all did some interesting drawing... It did
not matter if people picked up parts of the still life's in-between.
This by the way.. is the annual problem in my room :in progress still
life's with signs that say "please don't move the items around.".
Students still come in and pick up items and move them about. I have a
study hall in my room of non art students.

The results... I got a chance to see strengthes in each student... and a
bonus... saw some students having a preference for media at a very early
stage.

Randy in vividly colored Maine...( We are almost in peak leave color
now)

---