Re: Arts Advocacy...another twist

---------

gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 12:19:44 PDT

Bunki's letter made me think. Most parents won't stop and read stuff. Although
that doesn't stop me from putting up informative displays- can't hurt. If even just
a couple people read your information that's a couple who are now better informed.
If you really want parents to be good advocates - get them involved in your
program,-ie. field trips, art fairs, fund raising, artists -in -residents are a
few. Send home newsletters and other things to keep them informed. In other words,
be visible . Inform media whenever possible of events concerning your art dept.
Unfortunately, I think if parents don't know about what's going on with art dept.
or classes they judge according to final products. Art education needs to go
beyond the classroom- stay out in front!
MaryB

Bunki Kramer wrote:

> But...if it were ME...I'd have the kids fill out a short statement sheet
> given by you in class that states...."Art is......." and ask for flowery
> words (not trite), don't say things like "Art is sucky" or "Art is fun" but
> use more in-depth thinking, and you will come up with 20 some or more ideas
> that come STRAIGHT from the kids' minds that makes more of a statement than
> what someone wrote a thesis about or collected statistical facts.

---