Re: Arts Advocacy...another twist

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 09:15:41 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
>From: Jillart1@aol.com
> I'm looking for some art advocacy quotes, statistics, etc., to put up
> with a display of student work. These will be on a prominent wall in the
> school, and be seen when parents come in for conferences. I thought it would
> be a good time to put up this important information.Jill in Colorado
***********************

I tried to think that if I were a parent walking by a board full of student
work and I saw advocacy quotes from studies made or statistics, I'd keep
right on walking. Now that's a humble personal opinion only.

But...if it were ME...I'd have the kids fill out a short statement sheet
given by you in class that states...."Art is......." and ask for flowery
words (not trite), don't say things like "Art is sucky" or "Art is fun" but
use more in-depth thinking, and you will come up with 20 some or more ideas
that come STRAIGHT from the kids' minds that makes more of a statement than
what someone wrote a thesis about or collected statistical facts. I gave a
giant candy bar for a prize and wound up giving out 25 of them because I got
back such good ideas. I had all my classes do it one day and it was like a
sponge activity which only took the first 5 mins. of class. Very little time
used to make such a big impact.

If you want to check out our school art webpage at..

Hit "Student Art Quotes"

....you can find some quotes from students that were done exactly in this
manner. I ran them off on the computer using big type and mounted them on
black paper. I post them on bulletin boards with artwork at times and I have
them plastered in the principal's office as well. Everywhere you look you
can find "art advocacy" at our school.

My favorite which did not make the website or bulletin board in it's EXACT
WORDING is......"Art is a very cozy feeling. It soothes me. It raises my
"self of steam". It is beautiful." by Jason, 8th grade

Toodles.....Bunki

---