Re: skull cleaning....

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 04:52:48 PDT

Subject: Re: RE: skull cleaning

when I dabbled with some taxidermy some years ago...boiling was done, but as
to stopping decaying thereafter...rub some "borax" into the bone tissue
well, and wipe off, OR, better yet...bleach which will stop all decay as
well make the bones nice and white. It will rid the potential of eventual
odor as well. Borax is used to rub into skins that will be stretched over
forms, etc;

Perhaps the most interesting stilllifes are done with the addition of what
sportsmen refer to as a "Texas Mount" of a whitetail deer. This is not your
typical skin over a form wall mount, but the antlers are left on the skull,
and the skull is boiled and bleached. The skull is bleached, not the
antlers. Very attractive skeletal visual.

Yet one other method is best during summer months. You can set skulls near
large mounds of ants which will work their way into and around the skull,
then set the skull on a roof where the sun will bleach it. Bone is calcium,
so setting it up high discourages some small rodents that ordinarily would
chew on fallen antlers.
-Larry

---