Robin's Warhol Lesson (MRJWITZ)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 13:27:10 PDT

I found Robin's Warhol inspired lesson...it is odd, but I searched last
night and it didn't come up in the archives (I do remember reading it when
it was posted). Robin posted it September 29-- Robin's message below:

Idea for Statue of Liberty

I started a project the this week with 4th and 5th graders that seemed to
really catch on. I dug out my Andy Warhol stuff and built a lesson about
Pop
Art, Andy and how he did repeated designs of things (symbols, people etc)
that were popular at his time in history. We spoke about what seems to be
on
everyone's mind now...patriotism. I prepared folders of pictures of
American
symbols (capitol, eagle, statue, a variety of flags, Bush, etc). The
students were to choose one symbol. They could use just part of it (like
Peter Max's Liberty) or the entire picture. I gave them a 9x12 white and
had
them fold into four sections and practice drawing something that they would
like to repeat as Warhol did. When they were happy with one, they were to
cut that section, trace it in black, and then trace from that one onto the
12x18 folded paper.(They took a 12x18 white and folded it into 8 sections.)
Next week we will color these all the same or in alternating colors. I have
decided to ask them to color at least one in red, white and blue, and then
give them neon colors to do the other 7. This project works well because it
covers core curriculum, art history, as well as being very timely. Oh, I
also
asked the teachers to have the students make a statement about America
which
I am going to have them word process in interesting fonts and attach to
this
work. A nice exhibit!

Robin

---