RE: skull cleaning

---------

From: Berg, Renee (Renee.Berg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 07:47:22 PDT

Teresa, That is so funny. Here is my skull story. We were on a Navaho
(Dineh) reservation for a month and had driven to town, Pinion to get
groceries, I spotted some horse skulls along the side of the road and noted
where they were, but we did not have time to pick them up. A couple days
later my husband and another missionary were heading that direction with a
Dineh pastor and his wife in a van behind them. I asked my husband to pick
the skulls up. He would look out the window of the van while Nick drove and
would yell stop when he saw a skull. He would run out and pick it up and
did this 3 times, The 3rd stop took some time to get the skull free and the
Dineh pastor stopped and pulled over behind them and asked if they were
having car trouble, Nick said no we are picking up horse skulls for Renee.
The Dineh pastor told me later I am a strange white woman. I told him it was
because I'm an art teacher. The Dineh do not like dead things.
Renee in South Dakota