I have a funny story about cleaning cowskulls. One year, I had a scavenger
hunt and the kids brought stuff from home in. Cow skulls were worth 100
points. I lived in VA at the time and I got about 10 of them. Some still had
flesh and hair. It was so gross. I soaked them for days in bleach water and
then scrubbed the stuff off. I wanted to dry them out good and it was winter
so I did a really really dumb thing. I put them in the kiln and turned the
kiln on low. All the marrow came out of the bones and the whole room smelled
horrible. I got so sick to my stomach that I couldnt eat meat for two or
three month. I ended up throwing alot of them away.
Later, one of the science teachers told me that it was not safe nor sanitary
to touch them. I have not done that since.
Teresa (now in El Paso)