RE: Free time activities

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 07:59:26 PDT

My free time shelves have really morphed over the years -
I have gone from triazzle puzzles and visual games to building materials
(polydrons, goggleplex) pattern blocks and so on.... now I have small
collections of plastic animals from the dollar store - cartooning books and
a collection of nature items (shells, pods, etc...) to use with jewler's
loupes. We really don't have much time - but there is always someone
finished early - all of my classes also have sketchbooks that I keep in
labeled milk crates - they can access themselves -
Ellen

PS - I used to have lots of finish the drawing packets too - where I just
put lines and shapes - ran them off and they had to use existing lines in a
drawing - I didn't start with any recognizable objects - just random -

I also had packets of practice sheets like Mona Brookes had in her book
"Drawing with Children" - mostly duplication sheets practicing what she
calls 'the five elements of shape' - also symmetry lines - a single line
drawn on the paper... with a line design on one side - they need to draw the
mirror image - she calls it 'mirror imaging' - I first saw it in a reading
book - good practice for both subject areas -

Ellen

---