RE: Free time activities

---------

From: Freeland, Susan (FREELAS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 09:26:18 PDT

         I Teach them about abstract art and what it is, how it's made. Then
we each make a list of emotions and feelings. the project is to express an
emotion through abstract art. they must cover the paper completely, (I have
baskets of dry materials like colored pencils & markers on their table so
the don't have to get up. have ordered pencil sharpeners that hold the
shavings but someone else has scooped them I think)
        When they complete one emotion they go on to the next. I stress the
non-representational aspect and sometimes give limitations such as analogous
colors or required rendered areas but this could go on for a long time.
        The only time they can work on this is when they finish early or if
we are waiting for something like an assembly.
        It can also be used for emergency sub plans.

         good luck,
> Does anyone have any good ideas/handouts for middle schoolers who finish
> projects early? I hate to have them just draw in their sketchbook
> because they often have no idea what to draw. I have a couple of
> handouts but need a lot more. Any ideas? (I teach 6th and 7th grade).
> Thanks!
> -Krista

---