RE: Best practice

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 07:04:39 PDT

You might want to check out "Best Practice - new standards for teaching and
learning in America's Schools" (Heinemann)

the second edition includes the arts.
It has a section under "The Arts":
the Arts in School and Society
Standards Come to Art Education
Qualities of Best Practice in the Arts
How Parents can Help
What Principals Can Do
Exemplary Practice

Other suggested readings:
Brandt - 1996, Power in practice: the Arts Education Development Project
Claggett and Brown - Drawing Your Own Conclusions: Graphic Strategies for
Reading, Writing and Thinking
Darby and Catterall - 1994 The Fourth R - The Arts and Learning
another page of resources listed in the book

Check out other publications for education groups around the country... this
would require some reading about instructional practices etc... to find what
you need... Northeast Foundation for Children (Chip Wood -A Time To
Teach)... not an art ed book -

There are a couple of schools/districts that have been emphasizing the arts
- I sent information last year or so (Daviess Co in Kentucky is one of them)
- a school in California uses arts in assessments - with great results...
there was an article in the Christian Science Monitor... but the
CSM archives are down... I don't know what to look for in the Getty
archives... but I posted to Getty once -
Ellen

---