Re: Elementary Discipline - writing or doing - it's your choice!!!

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 03:37:04 PST

In a message dated 10/30/00 11:24:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
DWHEEL5645@aol.com writes:

> I tell mine the same thing(and I teach HIGH SCHOOL!!), and they still have
> do 'art articles' and a writing assignment - also if they abuse the clay
> tools, or heaven forbid, throw clay!!!!

I don't like to equate ANY punishment with reading and/or writing- especially
"art articles". I remember the first year I was an art teacher I "took over"
a few classes for a veteran art teacher at the school. The first day of
classes the kids asked me if I do the "Art Cards" for punishment, like their
former teacher. Turned out, the Art Cards were a set of cards with
information about famous artists and their artwork. She punished them by
"making them" read the cards and write a paper about the artists. I cringe
every time I think about it!

To me, such negative connatations to reading and writing, especially about
art, is sacreligious! Don't we want our children to feel inspired about what
they read and not punished?!? BTW, I ended up using those cards as a
sounding board for interesting and informative discussions among this same
group of kids.

Susan on Long Island