Re: Character Counts

---------

From: Charlotte (larkspin2000_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 19:24:21 PST

I'm in 4 different schools within the same school system. Each school has its own interpretation of this system. While my favorite school takes it to the limit........thus one character trait per month.......complete with cutesy little song on the morning announcement time........another school just uses the forms as a "paper trail" on behavior.........then another school doesn't do it at all......they just "bust their butts" as I was told.........guess it is just whatever the local community will stand!!! But just think.......the behavior is best in the school that takes it to the max........but also that school is just a K - 2 school while the others go K-8. I think where they take it to the max there are HIGH EXPECTATIONS from the faculty and administration and the students rise to the occassion............so I can't really totally tell you EXACTLY what the ONE THING is that produces such a great climate...........but I love it when I'm there........which is tomorrow and Wed!!!!!!!! HAPPY DAYS!!!!!! :o)

Charlotte

menichino <menichino@infoblvd.net> wrote:

Hi Charlotte --
You mentioned that your school uses the "Character Counts" program. I've wanted our school to get into some form of this but it seems hard to get it going. Is it really worth the effort? Do you feel the kids are learning how to be more respectful? Do you focus on a specific positive character trait every month? What's your opinion on how the kids respond? Thanks for your help!
Liz in rural NY