Re: Doing Grades(assessment)

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 18:29:17 PST

Hi Christine:
I teacher K-5 but only give grades on 2nd - 5th's work. I only grade on
occasional assignments that demonstrate specific observable skills (like
cutting, glueing, stitching, color mixing, measuring.....etc). The students
may have a rubric (like a checklist) to fill out depending on the
assignment. The average grade is put on a report card that gets sent home
twice a year. I felt that the report also needed some more information
about how the student works and so added the following to go along with the
letter grade: There is a place to mark off if the objective is achieved:
-- Expresses ideas and feelings using the language of art
-- Practices good craftsmanship, exhibits attention to detail
-- Engages in independent problem solving
-- Evaluates artwork thoughtfully
-- Shows respect toward other artists

Hope this helps --
Liz in rural NY