PHOTOGRAPHY VS. DIGITAL COMPUTERS

---------

From: LEO DAVINCE (ytsirk_uno_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 18:26:54 PST

Has technology caught up with traditional artforms?
Are teachers of the "hands on" old school of art being
pushed aside for state of the "art" digital and
computer graphics imagery. Every art teacher has their
niche or preference of media and will teach according
to their strengths.
A situation has risen in our school district where a
new addition to the school is planned. This presents
an opportunity for a new artroom facility. The present
artroom has a photography darkroom basically for Grade
11 classes. The new plans have eliminated this
photo-lab set up and have gone with a basic room
design with little more than an island sink at the
back of the room to conduct art classes. Eventhough
teachers have had an opportunity for input, there is a
difference of opinion as to a darkroom verses computer
technology.
Help needed! How have you dealt with this type of
situation? If there are schools out there that have
recently undergone rennovations to their artrooms what
has been included and what has been left out?