Re: Elementary Discipline

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 13:38:30 PST

We have discipline slips- new this year at my school but have been in other
schools for years. I had to use them in the other school I used to go to as
most of those kids were new to me and tried to give me grief. I have not had to
use them at my school, mainly because k-6 don't have too many behavior probs( I
am Grateful) and the 6th grade teachers are really on top of their students.
They use citizenship slips( try to say that real fast) and if they act up, they
have to clip a grade for me ( They start out at 'Aplus', A, A-. Bplus. B then
B-, then on down to F. ) If they have to clip a grade for me, then they also
have to clip a grade in their homeroom. These go home on Fri and have to come
back on Mon signed. This becomes their citizen ship grade on their report
cards. Great system, no muss- no fuss. For younger grades, I email all
incidents to the respective teachers and pupil service teacher- This is for
really serious stuff for eh kids, etc. Then I send myself a copy and file it in
my email folder. I feel very strongly that there should be documentation for
all behavior issues in school, especially dealing with some of the parents who
think their child can do no wrong, that it is the teacher who is at fault. I
document everything, even if I don't send a note home, etc. ( I came from a
district in NY that insisted on this- it makes sense legally and
professionally) Sorry this was so long.
Betsy