Re: Elementary Discipline

---------

From: Neil Erickson (Jorgen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 08:23:58 PST

There may be many that disagree with this approach but it works:
I have kids who won't behave copy out of a boring art history book (one with
no pictures-I personally use Vasari's Lives of the Artists). I tell them
there are 2 ways to learn about art-you can learn experientally or you can
learn by reading and writing it. It only takes one day of copying and they
shape right up. I have a stack of notebook paper and pencils and the book
ready at all times.

This is probably not a good idea if you are planning to have your students
do art history reports as they may have trouble differentiating between the
valid assignment and the discipline. But if you have them a limited time as
I always have and plan to use that time for studio artwork-it is a very
effective method of discipline.

Cindy Erickson