Re: costumes for school.......

---------

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 15:35:10 PST

Every year I make paper mache (and/or paper maglue) full head masks with the
seventh grades. Most of the seventh grader's masks aren't finished by
Halloween, but my sample is. This year I made a pair of "wood nymphs."
They're over sized heads made on armatures of primarily newspaper, with
styrofoam, cardboard, Modelmagic, tennis balls, etc. They're both
semi-realistic looking. One is a bald old man with surprised mouth and eyes,
while the other is a self-satisfied looking old woman with grinning eyes and
mouth. My girlfriend made cotton/linen robes hand dyed in greens, maroons,
and orange. We attached feathers to the hemp rope belts and cotton cowl.

Other years I've made paper mache heads with matching costumes, too, and I
always wear them to the big annual Halloween party, out trick-or-treating
(principal's house is a favorite stop), and for the Halloween
parade-assembly at school. Other years I've been a black angus bull named
MacDoogle, a moose, a blue bottle fly (also has sheer curtain wings, extra
legs, and a paper mache thorax and abdomen that I can fit into), a lion with
a raffia mane and tube sock tail with raffia at the end, and last year I was
Dionysus.

Halloween is a favorite time for me, especially since I can show off my
creations.

Mark