Re: discouragedÔ?" Unruly art class (Dennis)

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 12:31:37 PST

> Also, remembering that everyone likes to be rewarded with praise, I'm
going
> to give bonus points coupons to students I see doing the right thing.
They
> can save up their points to increase their grade in a deficient area, or
use
> them to pick a prize. (Art supply samples mostly gathered from
conventions)

Years ago when I taught middle school (actually K-12) I used the coupon
method -- the best behaved table got coupons at the end of class. They
needed to save up 3 coupons, turn them in to me. The next day I would bring
in a homemade brownie for the coupon holder. Made a lot of brownies that
year but they freeze in tin foil well. And I felt like I was actually doing
*something* instead of just spinning my disciplinary wheels...
Liz in rural NY