Re: DBAE,why is it off the getty page?

---------

Artemis420_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 09:26:28 PST

In a message dated 10/29/00 6:02:06 AM Pacific Standard Time, Nnaell@aol.com
writes:

> But why would anyone call DBAE a nightmare Getty would like to forget? I
> feel it more than served its purpose and completely understood your
> statement. A 15 year project that has had the sweeping reform that
> Getty/DBAE
> put into motion could hardly be called a nightmare. Mind you...I am not a
> DBAE disciple...I just think people should know the facts, have read the
> literature before saying things like the statement above. I have done
> that....a graduate thesis on the beginnings of DBAE with many interviews to
> back up what I had read and surmised. Although, I find it amazing the kind
> of emotions that come up when one mentions Getty/DBAE....very
> interesting....<smile>

Here is the story of the Getty.
The Getty museum and art department (whatever it may be called), became very
very rich when Getty merged with Texaco. I don't think J. Paul Getty ever
intended his legacy to be a multi billion dollar enterprise, he left it a
relatively small amount of money and a chunk of stock. But since then, the
"Getty people" whoever they may be, have raised themselves above mere
education and directorship of the Malibu Roman villa and, along with the new
Getty center in LA, turned into a global art collector and
conservator...period.
Artie