Re: yard sales

---------

From: Charlotte (larkspin2000_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 05:40:41 PST

I don't feel the least bit guilty or voyeuristic about going to yard sales. Many times ALL of us has received a gift of something really nice, but just not our taste...........or we bought something thinking it was JUST what we HAD to have and later realized we didn't really like that thing or hobby........so there sits a perfectly good something or other.......why not sell that puppy in a yard sale.......make some cash and get that piece a junk outa here!!!! So many times I've found practically new "junk" (to somebody else) at a great price at yard sales. Estate sales are even better as they are not usually "throw aways".......just what someone has left behind. Once I found a brand new (still in a shrink wrap) box of cuisenaire blocks...........used to teach math concepts for $3.50. I was a new homeschool mom and had been wishing for one of these sets, but they were pretty pricey so had held off ordering one............and then boom!!!!! here is one at an estate sale!!!

So yeah........maybe I'm the person who couldn't afford better, but I also know a good deal when I see one!!!! BTW-----I DON'T enjoy going thru people's TRUELY private stuff at these sales.......I don't know why THIS stuff doesn't end up at Goodwill!!

"L. P. Skeen" <lpskeen@living-tree.net> wrote:

Ya know, I was discussing this with the better half last night. I think there's something voyeuristic about yard sales, and that's why some people get addicted to them. There's something about "seeing what the other guy's got".... I have always felt a little guilty going to yard sales because A) when I was growing up, yard sales were for people who couldn't afford better and B) it's a little like snooping into someone's private stuff, which I was raised NEVER to do. Nowadays it has become a hobby chic thing -- you should have SEEN the folks driving Volvos and BMW's to the yard sales!

The sale where I got the easel was the 2nd artist's home I visited yesterday. Well, I could use that term loosely....the first one was trying to sell her paint-by-number oils for $25 & up.... am I a snob?<G>

Ahhhhhhhhh you are getting my blood apumpin'.............I'm a longtime yardsale-aholic!!!!! You got a DEAL worth bragging rights at any yard sale!!!!!!!!