Re: DBAE,why is it off the getty page?

---------

From: John Kupcinski (jckup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 22:22:47 PDT

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 Nnaell@aol.com wrote:
> Why do we need to know the next "big wave"
>Of course keeping current with art/education trends as a whole are extremely
>important..

I think you answered your own question there. You seem to have taken issue
with my statement "So what is the next trend?" in your "Saturday morning
pep talk." I was responding to Sandra's statement of DBAE being a bad
dream that Getty would like to forget.

You, more eloquently than I, elaborated on the positive aspects that DBAE
(and Getty) has provided arts education. Basically we are not that far
apart in agreement that DBAE is a tool, not a formula or prescription, to
be used in teaching. As a tool it adapts to the needs of the user rather
than being a hindrance in its implementation, as it should.

> do we need someone to come along and tell us what the next "big thing" is?
That's your phrasing, not mine. Again, I'm not in disagreement with your
philosophy that as art educators we need to be developing and promoting our
programs. But in education, inevitably, a different approach (to
education) gains popularity with the powers that be and is expected to be
implemented in the trenches. Don't get me wrong, this is not necessarily a
bad thing. Education should be an evolving process of searching for new
ways to meet the needs of our students and maximize the learning process.
But sometimes (with some administrators) the trends result in a formula
approach, i.e., we will all use this textbook, this method, this format,
etc. Understanding what is behind a shift in direction (if it is a shift)
can help one anticipate and evaluate its impact.

I'm one of the chairpersons for our school's accreditation review. At the
middle school level, music, drama, and art, are lumped together as "the
arts" in the review process. This is not the case for the elementary and
high school areas, which have separate review lists. At the same time, I
have a director who has bent for the theatre and seems to view drama,
music, and art as a single entity. So my question (what is the next trend)
was a rhetorical one, i.e., is this happening elsewhere?

Thanks for your response, strong as it was, and for sharing your
informative research into the topic.

Cheryl