exercises or projects?

---------

From: Christine Sandeson (c.sandeson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 15:20:39 PDT

hi folks

I am in my second year of teaching art in a public high
schools after 20 + years working as a painter and sculptor, so,
despite my middle age and artistic experience, I have inexperience in
the classroom.

I am currently teaching a large unit on the elements of
design. Class sizes are crowded (36), & resources are limited (no
books, no sink, no storage). I usually explain/teach about 10 minutes
of the 50 minute class (using many of my own resources), introduce an
"exercise" and then circulate among the individuals to help them out.
The majority of students seem mildly interested in the topics of
line, shape value texture color and space.

I am aware that some teachers teach by "project", which
sounds as if they have a more involved activity than what I am
offering (I use Ocvirk, Bone, Stinson and Wigg, 3rd and 7th
editions). I wonder if my grade 10 and 11's would better enjoy a
project approach that would take several days, but am at a loss for
project ideas based upon the elements of design. Any good text
resources with a project (more extended) approach to teaching the
elements of design?

I sooooo appreciate this list!

christene

--