Re: discouraged

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 13:35:32 PDT

--MS_Mac_OE_3055584932_152660_MIME_Part

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
*
From: Charlotte <larkspin2000@yahoo.com
(snip)..One teacher cornered me and asked what she was gonna say to the
parents at their parent/teacher conference that afternoon. I told her that
the behavior in that class was so bad I couldn't give any other grade (I
refrained from telling her that "C" was hugely generous!! considering what
had gone on there for 6 weeks). She said "we can't give BEHAVIOR GRADES
here". So I told her that their BEHAVIOR prevented the students from doing
their work!!!! She just stalked off and I have been the "leper" since (I
guess!!). .....Hint: I'm a first year teacher.
*

Hi, Charlotte......That pretty much sums it up right THERE...you're a first
year teacher. A newbie who doesn't know exactly who and what to say. ..who
doesn't know the ropes yet. We've ALL been there. Sounds like you've got
some bullies on the staff too. Hope you find some good faculty members to
pal around with because you're going to need that support this year.

First of all....I don't know what state you are in but, if I'm not mistaken,
most states have their own state standards in art education now plus we ALL
have the national standards to adhere to as well. That's your first answer.
You're trying to get the kids to at least meet the national standards...that
is your job. If they don't...well...there goes the grade. (The kids need to
know this as well.) The school hired you knowing that with your background,
they can entrust you to make sure these kids are meeting those standards.
(PS...if you don't know these standards backwards and forwards, now's the
time to learn them so you can start sprouting 'em off when that old bully
starts in again.) You can also explain to the aggitated teacher THAT should
be her response to the parents also. If a parent comes to you upset, mention
all the buzz words.....state standards, national standards, P&E's
(principles and elements) and DBAE (discipline-based art education).

Stand by your guns. They're griping now....but they won't later when they
see you have backbone and they'll later respect you for not buckling. It'll
be tough for awhile til you build up your reputation. That'll happen
ANYWHERE you decide to teach.....not just the area you're in now. This is
the ONE battle you'll HAVE to win now in order to be comfortable in your
teaching career.

If you need to chat more or want some mid. school ideas, e-mail me
personally. Toodles......

--MS_Mac_OE_3055584932_152660_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: discouraged</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<BR>
from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us)<BR>
Los Cerros Middle School<BR>
968 Blemer Road<BR>
Danville, CA 94526<BR>
http://ww2.lcms.srvusd.k12.ca.us/faculty/faculty.html <BR>
************************<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>From: Charlotte &lt;larkspin2000@yahoo.com<BR>
(snip)..One teacher cornered me and asked what she was gonna say to the par=
ents at their parent/teacher conference that afternoon. I told her that the =
behavior in that class was so bad I couldn't give any other grade (I refrain=
ed from telling her that &quot;C&quot; was hugely generous!! considering wha=
t had gone on there for 6 weeks). She said &quot;we can't give BEHAVIOR GRAD=
ES here&quot;. So I told her that their BEHAVIOR <I>prevented</I> the studen=
ts from doing their work!!!! She just stalked off and I have been the &quot;=
leper&quot; since (I guess!!). .....Hint: I'm a first year teacher.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE>************************<BR>
<BR>
Hi, Charlotte......That pretty much sums it up right THERE...you're a first=
year teacher. A newbie who doesn't know exactly who and what to say. ..who =
doesn't know the ropes yet. We've ALL been there. Sounds like you've got som=
e bullies on the staff too. Hope you find some good faculty members to pal a=
round with because you're going to need that support this year.<BR>
<BR>
First of all....I don't know what state you are in but, if I'm not mistaken=
, most states have their own state standards in art education now plus we AL=
L have the national standards to adhere to as well. That's your first answer=
You're trying to get the kids to at least meet the national standards...th=
at is your job. If they don't...well...there goes the grade. (The kids need =
to know this as well.) The school hired you knowing that with your backgroun=
d, they can entrust you to make sure these kids are meeting those standards.=
(PS...if you don't know these standards backwards and forwards, now's the t=
ime to learn them so you can start sprouting 'em off when that old bully sta=
rts in again.) You can also explain to the aggitated teacher THAT should be =
her response to the parents also. If a parent comes to you upset, mention al=
l the buzz words.....state standards, national standards, P&amp;E's (princip=
les and elements) and DBAE (discipline-based art education). <BR>
<BR>
Stand by your guns. They're griping now....but they won't later when they s=
ee you have backbone and they'll later respect you for not buckling. It'll b=
e tough for awhile til you build up your reputation. That'll happen ANYWHERE=
you decide to teach.....not just the &nbsp;area you're in now. This is the =
ONE battle you'll HAVE to win now in order to be comfortable in your teachin=
g career.<BR>
<BR>
If you need to chat more or want some mid. school ideas, e-mail me personal=
ly. Toodles......<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3055584932_152660_MIME_Part--