Re: discouraged

---------

From: Neil Erickson (Jorgen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 14:34:18 PDT

--MS_Mac_OE_3055595659_702991_MIME_Part

Dear Charlotte,
I want to encourage you to hang in there. Please do not give up and please
do not resort to entertaining. It takes several (plus) years to build an
art department. This is extremely difficult for you and for the kids if
they have a different art teacher each year. You must work diligently with
the younger kids knowing that next year they will be better and the next
year even better (in their expression of creativity and in their behaviour)
It is very important for you to be positive and to be consistent (I'm sure
you are) because this builds their trust, their security and gives them the
freedom to express.

I suggest you immediately develop some kind of grading chart that explicitly
states what you are using to determine grades. It can include work habits
and attitude but you will probably get into trouble if you label it
"behaviour" . Try using more precise terms like: stays on task, follows
guidelines set by teacher, shows respect for materials, completes projects
in a timely manner, etc. Also include some portion that grades on the
quality of the art work. I use 1/3 attitude, 1/3 work habits and 1/3
quality of the artwork but I break it down into specifics as decribed above.
I can you my chart exactly if you want it. Run the chart you develop by an
experienced teacher or an administrator who will support you. This is a
tool that will assist you greatly in defending yourself if confronted by
other teachers/ parents and will give the administrator some help in
defending you against claims that you are subjective or that you are grading
strictly on behaviour.

Try to pace yourself for the long haul realizing that you are BUILDING
something. You must always work hard at strenghthening the foundation.
Laying the brickwork comes later and is easier work.

I wish you the very best. Please write again. Many of us have been where
you are and would like to support you and help you all we can.

Sincerely,
Cindy Erickson