discouraged

---------

From: Charlotte (larkspin2000_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 11:40:17 PDT

Hello......I am needing good ideas for some middle school students I teach. This is a very poor area and the kids there don't seem to value education very much..........and art education is REALLY down there on their list. The faculty is civil to my face, but I believe they only see me as their "break" in the day. Also when the first grading period came, I gave out many C's in this grade level.....which not only aggrevated the students, it also brought the parents and faculty down on my head!!! One teacher cornered me and asked what she was gonna say to the parents at their parent/teacher conference that afternoon. I told her that the behavior in that class was so bad I couldn't give any other grade (I refrained from telling her that "C" was hugely generous!! considering what had gone on there for 6 weeks). She said "we can't give BEHAVIOR GRADES here". So I told her that their BEHAVIOR prevented the students from doing their work!!!! She just stalked off and I have been the "leper" since (I guess!!). This s
chool is a K - 8 school and I have grades 1-8. I seem to be able to actually TEACH the concepts of art......like the elements of design to grades 1 - 4 and they seem to be able to cope, but the upper grades are bouncing off the walls.

Hint: I'm a first year teacher. This school gets a new art teacher each year (for the reasons listed above and because it is such a remote that there is much travel involved).

I've decided to teach the younger ones that will let me and just ENTERTAIN the older ones.......even if it comes out of my meager pay...........I'm desperate!!!! Any artsy entertainment you all could recommend?? I'm thinking cute little projects that appear like "art" ..........don't know what else to do!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Charlotte