Here's a Sculpure Medium Idea

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 09:09:25 PDT

In a message dated 10/27/00 9:25:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bolide@telepath.com writes:

> How about using the non-hardening clay (plasticine?) to sculpt heads for
> puppets and then paper mache over. come to think of it you could also use
> to sculp faces for masks and paper mache
>
> I'm sure this is a response to another thread, but it reminded me of a
> discovery I have just made in regard to sculpture and appropriate for any
> age:
>
> Try soaking "fiberfill", the polyester material used for stuffing
> pillows, etc., in Pritt Art Paste until it's a mushy consistency. The
> fiberfill comes in big bags and goes a long way. What a fabulous sculpture
> medium! My 5th graders used it over a styrofoam ball for the heads of
> their "President Busts" They could easily form features and although
> light, it dried hard with every facial feature in clear detail. Over this I
> had the students put one layer of brown grocery bags which were soaked in
> water overnight, wrung out, torn in small pieces, dipped in Pritt Art
> Paste, and smoothed over the fiberfill form. With skin colored paint and
> hair added, the kids are really excited about their successes!

Gee, I feel disappointed that my workshop proposal for National was rejected-
mainly because I was prepared to drive into New York City with actual samples
of my students work- many of which are 3-d and so much more explanatory then
seeing the work on slides. I was going to bring Georgina, a lifesize George
Segal-like sculpture that my 5th graders EASILY created. Also, I had planned
to set up foamcore displays with a large variety of projects that relate to
famous artists in history and explain the "tricks" to doing them. I saw this
as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity as I live only 40 minutes from NYC. For
the sake of art education I love to share ideas with other art teachers....
oh. well.....Susan on Long lsand