RE: MY room...venting!

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 15:56:25 PDT

The education art studio at the museum is used by many different groups -
SAMFA, CAM, Angelo State, San Angelo ISD, Region XV, and privately organized
art lessons (community member wishes to pay for an artist to come in and
conduct a workshop). During some SAMFA events/fundraisers CAM staff provide
art opportunities for the children attending. Now some private parties want
us to baby-sit for them, like you did at the 3rd of July party. We don't do
that, but the development office will let them rent the room for an
additional fee.

We cover the bookcases with newsprint; from rolls we get for free from the
newspaper, taping down the edges. Ongoing projects are grouped together on
tables with easels all the way around. A sign is put up explaining what the
lesson is about (we type our lesson plans on the computer so the objectives
are just printed out on 11"X17" paper.) Toddler locks put on all the
cupboards, and the keyboard is disconnected and locked in a supply room. One
person objected to the toddler locks, I just told her point blank. Those
cupboards have potentially poisonous supplies in them, I lock them when I
have young kids in there you will have the locks on when you are in there.

If they leave the room a mess, they are fined and can lose the privilege of
using the room.

One good thing has come out of this. When I told the gentleman who wanted me
to supervise the kids during his party no, I explained I only had one
weekend off this month, and that we could not provide supplies since it is
the end of our year and we are running out. He walked in the development
office 2 days later and donated $200 for more supplies!!! Yes!!! Needless to
say, we let him use our supplies. The party went well and they returned
everything in good shape. We have a small fundraiser this weekend
Hallowfest. All that money is going for supplies.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator