RE: 7th graders

---------

From: Julie Brady (7.jbrady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 09:35:57 PDT

------_=_NextPart_001_01C04033.FBD5DAA0

My first two hours of the day are 7th and 8th grade combined. The 7th
graders are easy to find - usually more silly and awkward. I have found
that if I think like a middle schooler (think back!) and try to modify the
projects to peek their middle school interests a little more, I get a much
better response. Eg: still lifes contain CDs, sports equipment, etc., we
do a unit on animation, Impressionsism landscape projects can contain one
object that they choose (a surfer, a golfer, a sports car, etc.) as long as
it is small, Oldenburg-like sculptures of an object that is important to
them (hairdryers, rollerblades, radios, etc.). I really enjoy my middle
school students. The trick is to maintain a balance between the strict
stick-to-the-rules teacher and the "cool" teacher that surprises them once
in a while by liking their music or sense of fashion.
Good luck!

Julie

------_=_NextPart_001_01C04033.FBD5DAA0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2652.35">
<TITLE>RE: 7th graders</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My first two hours of the day are 7th and 8th grade =
combined.&nbsp; The 7th graders are easy to find - usually more silly =
and awkward.&nbsp; I have found that if I think like a middle schooler =
(think back!) and try to modify the projects to peek their middle =
school interests a little more, I get a much better response.&nbsp; =
Eg:&nbsp; still lifes contain CDs, sports equipment, etc.,&nbsp; we do =
a unit on animation, Impressionsism landscape projects can contain one =
object that they choose (a surfer, a golfer, a sports car, etc.) as =
long as it is small, Oldenburg-like sculptures of an object that is =
important to them (hairdryers, rollerblades, radios, etc.).&nbsp; I =
really enjoy my middle school students.&nbsp; The trick is to maintain =
a balance between the strict stick-to-the-rules teacher and the =
&quot;cool&quot; teacher that surprises them once in a while by liking =
their music or sense of fashion.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Good luck!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Julie</FONT>
</P>