Re: 7th graders

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 21:02:14 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
*

>From: Jayna Ledbetter <jayna_99@yahoo.com>
> Hi! I know we have talked about this a thousand times-
> but does anyone out there love teaching seventh
> graders?

(Grin) I don't think I've actually used the words "love" and "teach" in the
same sentence EVER but I've got to admit I probably like the 7th graders the
best of the three. They're really bigger 6th graders in disguise but they
have more skills than a true 6th grader. It amazes me what I can pull out
these little 7th grade folks...especially in some of my mixed 7/8th grade
classes. Now if you want to talk bozos, then we need to discuss 8th graders
and attitude. I've been blessed with great ones this year but the past has
been another story. I basically don't like 8th graders until second semester
when they drop that "uncool" posture and become more humanoid and more
lovable and enthusiastic.

Six graders seem to come packaged with annoying chatter...it's like you pull
a string in their back and this never-ending spew of words runs on
incessently. Buttttttttt.....they have the most charming enthusiasm of any
bunch of kids. They're still young enough to give me presents at Christmas
and be excited about it...or make me cookies...or give me a hug...or
actually care if I'm having a yucky day.

>They all seem to like me- they just don't
> seem to listen. > Jayna

That disease seems to infect all 3 grade levels. My 8th graders can be just
as bad about listening as my 6th graders. I think my 7th graders are
probably better at finding a cure for this malady. Of course every class has
it's own personality but so far this is the way THIS year has been going.
And...it could change at a drop of a hat. That's what makes middle school so
interesting...and never dull...and I'm always wonderin' what tomorrow will
bring. Toodles..........