Imaging Software

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 20:12:59 PDT

What imaging software do you recommend for computers running WinME or
Win2000 OS?

We are getting new computers for the museum (finally got rid of all the
Window 3.1 and all but one of the DOS computers). The computers will be
WinME or Win2000 and probably Gateway. Now is the time to get some decent
imaging software. We've been using adobe 2.0, MS Image Composer (came with
Front page), a couple of freeware programs, and doing a pretty good job. But
our boss keeps seeing stuff and wanting us to do something like _________
that is beyond our software. What do you recommend? We will be using the
images in desktop publishing, jobs we send to printing companies, and web
publishing. Lots of educational material, invitations, labels, title panels,
programs etc. will be produced with these programs. We really need to be
able to reduce the file size when we reduce the image size. I've had 2 panic
calls, my computer keeps crashing and I have a deadline recently. Both times
it was because of a large number of pictures imported to a document reduced
in size but not file size that crashed the computers. I had to upload the
pictures to my.yahoo having the upload from yahoo reduce them to small size,
then save them from the website back to the hard drive.

BTW How do you explain to some that yes you reduced the size you see on the
screen but not the size of the actual file to someone. I say it over and
over again, but they just don't get it. But then they don't seem to
understand BACK UP YOUR FILES either. Hey I finally got the office staff to
understand that the artist still owns the copyright of the artwork, even
after someone else buys the artwork so all isn't hopeless. They wanted to
create postcards from the collection. The kids are so much less frustrating
than the "adults".

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator