Story Telling & Art

---------

From: Brenda Smith (arteach_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 18:15:41 PDT

Hi,
Have any of you tried story telling and then having
your students draw their favorite part with a black
crayon and then giving them neon water color to paint
over the drawing?

This is a hit with Kindergarten students. Have them on the floor and sit
almost on their level. Practice the story until you know it well, and make
sure you make eye contact with every student while you talk. Use lots of
hand motions and facial expressions.
Have your tables ready with paper and crayons and have the students sit
quickly and start to draw stressing drawing "giant" and bearing down hard.
This will usually be all you can do in one class period.

Next class, have the students take their drawing and go over the story
quickly to see how much they remember. Have cake tempera in neon colors
with large brushes and water on each table. I have my students to count to
20 as they rub the tempera cakes so that they get a thicker paint. As they
paint, talk about background, and tell them to imagine what color it might
be behind the picture they have drawn. Most of them understand the concept
of background, but some may not be quite ready. In any case they will have
practiced their painting skills and if the story was connected with what
they were doing in the classroom, they will remember it better.

I have found story telling to be very effective in all my classes, k/5. All
you have to say is, "once upon a time" and you have a class of focused
students!

iWon.com http://www.iwon.com why wouldn't you?