Another Plaster of Paris Question

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 16:33:00 PDT

How long before the plaster cures to hard to carve?

We are planning the activities for all our exhibits in 2001 right now. We
are going to have an architecture exhibit in the Fall, based around local
landmarks. We are in a historic building (4th Hilton ever built) and there
are these really neat reliefs at the top of the columns in our space. I want
to do an activity around them. I thought we could do something with plaster
carving.

We would have to pre-make the plaster forms for the kids to carve their
reliefs in. Because we would have to have them for walk-ins as well as
school groups, we could predict exactly how many we would need each day. So
figuring the maximum number of school groups a week + a reasonable number
for walk-in members of the public, we would need 300 - 350 plaster forms
ready to go at the start of the exhibit. Then just replace those used each
evening and on Mondays (my prep day). The question is if the forms sit for a
month or so will they cure to hard to carve? Could we soften the next day's
supply by wrapping in a damp cloth?

I really appreciate your help. I'm sick of crayons, marker, paper, and oil
pastel activities being the limit of what we can do. I'm trying to plan this
out so I can give my boss a list of activities and supplies for next year
before he starts on the budget. (Our fiscal year runs Jan - Dec)

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator